An executive order signed by President Donald Trump April 2 ends de minimis treatment for goods from China and Hong Kong starting May 2 at 12:01 a.m. EDT, according to a White House fact sheet.
An executive order signed by President Donald Trump April 2 ends de minimis treatment for goods from China and Hong Kong starting May 2 at 12:01 a.m., according to a White House fact sheet.
President Donald Trump is imposing 10% tariffs on all imports other than those from Canada and Mexico, beginning April 5, according to a call detailing the reciprocal tariff actions ahead of the speech. These tariffs are not on top of Section 232 tariffs on autos and metals, a senior government official said on the call.
The U.S. will impose additional 10% tariffs on most imports, but not on Mexican and Canadian goods, information goods like books, music or films, or any goods either subject to Section 232 tariffs or among goods that Trump is considering protecting under Section 232, including pharmaceuticals, copper, lumber, paper, wooden furniture and cabinetry, semiconductors, certain critical minerals, and energy and energy products.
The Commerce Department issued its final determinations in the antidumping duty investigations on ferrosilicon from Brazil (A-351-860), Kazakhstan (A-834-812) and Malaysia (A-557-828). Suspension of liquidation and cash deposit requirements will continue for entries on or after Nov. 6, the date that the preliminary determinations were published in the Federal Register. Cash deposit rates set in these final determinations take effect March 28.
International Trade Today is providing readers with the top stories from last week in case they were missed. All articles can be found by searching on the titles or by clicking on the hyperlinked reference number.
To date, no major lawsuits challenging any of the new tariff actions taken by President Donald Trump have been filed. The reasons for that include high legal hurdles to success and inconsistency in the implementation of the tariffs, trade lawyers told us.
International Trade Today is providing readers with the top stories from last week in case they were missed. All articles can be found by searching on the titles or by clicking on the hyperlinked reference number.
Most business interests argued that removing goods subject to Section 301 tariffs is not administrable, would damage the economy, and, if not abandoned, needs a long lead time to prepare for, in comments to CBP.
Apparel importers and retailers don't have much favor in this administration, but groups representing their interests tried to appeal to the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative's logical side in comments requested by the agency on the reciprocal tariffs slated for April 2. The trade group representing the greatly diminished domestic textile and apparel industry, in contrast, said reciprocal tariffs could be used to recoup $100 billion in annual lost sales.