The U.S. hopes to open a “limited access channel” to the Port of Baltimore by the end of April and to fully reopen the channel by the end of May, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers said April 4. The limited channel would be 280 feet wide and 35 feet deep, the Corps of Engineers said, and would “support one-way traffic in and out of the Port of Baltimore” following the collapse of the Francis Scott Key Bridge last month (see 2403260047).
Shipping company Shiplane Transport said ocean transportation firm Seaboard Marine violated the U.S. shipping regulations when it moved its containers without consent, refused to issue it a bill of lading, engaged in price fixing and solicited customers unfairly, Shiplane said in a complaint filed with the Federal Maritime Commission April 3.
The Port of Baltimore suspended all vessel traffic into and out of the port “until further notice” due to the collapse of the Francis Scott Key Bridge after it was hit by a container ship in the early morning March 26.
The Federal Maritime Commission approved a settlement between Rahal International and Hapag-Lloyd and dismissed the complaint between both parties. The settlement, approved on March 15, comes after Rahal accused Hapag-Lloyd in June of failing to establish adequate facilities to return empty containers to the Port of New York and New Jersey and unfairly charging detention and demurrage (see 2307050034).
More action is needed to protect commercial cargo ships from attacks by Houthi rebels, shipping industry groups said after sailors aboard a commercial ship in the Gulf of Aden died this week from a Houthi missile strike.
COSCO Shipping Lines charged unfair detention and unfair chassis, storage, stop-off and redelivery fees, Access One Transport said in a complaint filed with the Federal Maritime Commission on March 1. The California-based motor carrier said that COSCO violated the Shipping Act by charging unfair fees when the containers couldn't be returned due to lack of appointments, dual transactions and specific actions by COSCO's and its terminals.
Maersk violated the Shipping Act by failing to keep its "automated tariff system" open for public inspection, shipper OL USA said in a complaint filed with the Federal Maritime Commission on Feb. 14. The shipper accused Maersk of being "deceptive" and its tariff platform of lacking "functionality," adding that it was "unable to verify Maersk’s representations regarding the substance of its tariffs."
Ocean carrier Evergreen Shipping Line "systematically" failed to meet its service requirements, pressured its customers to pay "extracontractual prices and surcharges" and charged unfair detention and demurrage, Bed Bath & Beyond said in a Feb. 21 complaint with the Federal Maritime Commission. The former big box retailer specifically accused the carrier of failing to meet minimum quantity commitments as part of a contract and said it took space reserved for Bed Bath & Beyond and instead allocated it to "higher-priced cargo from other shippers."
The Federal Maritime Commission approved a confidential settlement between U.S. carrier Network Shipping and several produce importers and exporters, the agency said Feb. 20. The importers and exporters -- including Coast Citrus Distributors, which does business as Olympic Fruit & Vegetable; Amazon Produce Network; Refin Tropicals; JW Fresh; Sembríos De Exportación Sembriexport; and Bresson -- accused the carrier in August of failing to provide chassis for certain shipments, causing $2 million in damages and costs (see 2308070050).
Two Supply Source subsidiaries filed another five complaints at the Federal Maritime Commission Feb. 14 against multiple carriers, accusing them of violating the Shipping Act and charging unfair detention and demurrage from 2021 to 2022, leading to over $2.1 million in financial damages. The companies include COSCO Shipping Lines, Lihua Logistics Company Limited, CMA CGM, Overseas Container Line Limited, and Yang Ming Marine Transport Corp.